UnDiet_729x90

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Barley, Kale and White Bean Stew
 
 
This was last night's dinner.  We've been eating more meat than usual lately, so I decided I wanted to make something with plenty of veggies, some sort of whole grain and also to use some of the homemade turkey stock I had made the night before.  It turned out really well, made quite rich by the homemade stock.
Here's what I did...
Sliced and chopped 1 onion, then sautéed in coconut oil
Added 8 cloves of chopped garlic and about 3 cups of sliced mushrooms and sautéed for about 5 more minutes
Added 1 cup of pot barley (I prefer this to pearl barley)

And one can of petite-diced tomatoes, some Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
About 5 cups of the homemade turkey stock (of course veg. stock could be subbed to make it a vegetarian stew) and 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper (we like our food fairly spicy)
I drained and rinsed a can of white beans and added those for a little extra protein, then covered and simmered for about 30 minutes, until the barley was tender



Finally, I stirred in about 4 cups of shredded, organic kale and simmered for about 2 mins., just until it was wilted
Finished!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean