UnDiet_729x90

Thursday, January 16, 2014


Multi-Seed Crackers


I've been making these crackers for almost a year now.  I got the inspiration from Angela's blog and ran with it.  I started out making them exactly as posted, but then I decided to change a few things.  I add ground flax seeds as I think this makes the crackers a little sturdier and I add a lot more onion and garlic and a bit more salt.  I also purée the onion, garlic and flax in water in my Vitamix.  To 'up' the protein, I also add hemp seeds and I like to toast the sesame seeds for flavour. 
Here's what I do...


 First I toast 1/2 cup sesame seeds in a pan over medium heat, shaking often.

This is how they should look when done.
 

 If you don't have a high-powered blender, you could use a microplane like this for your garlic and onion (or finely chop them).


 To a large bowl, add 1/2 cup chia seeds and 1/2 cup hemp seeds.


 Add 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds and 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds.



 To a high-speed blender (I use my Vitamix), add 1/4 cup golden flax seeds.


These are the ones I used.  Also add 1 1/4 cups water, 3 cloves garlic and 1/4 of an onion and blend until flax is completely broken down.  Alternatively you could grind flax in a coffee/spice grinder and grate garlic and onion then mix with water if you don't have a high-speed blender.

 
 Then pour the liquid into the large bowl with the seeds.


 Oops, almost forgot about the toasted sesame seeds!


 Mix in about 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt and 1 teaspoon kelp granules (optional).

These are the ones I use.

 
 Allow it to sit and gel for a few minutes, then spread onto two parchment-lined baking trays.  Try to keep it as even as possible with no holes.  I use the back of a spoon for ease of spreading.



 Bake at 325F for about 40 minutes or so, rotating trays after 20 minutes.  You want them to be very dry on top and almost dry on the bottom.


 Remove from oven and flip the entire sheet of dough over and back onto the parchment.  Then score into cracker-sized pieces.  I've used both a large, sharp chef's knive and a pizza cutter.  Both work just fine although the chef's knife sometimes cuts right through the parchment.


Put back into the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.  I check after 20 just to make sure they're not overdone.  Sometimes I remove some of the outer ones (they tend to cook a little quicker) to a wire cooling rack and stick the tray back in the oven to crisp up the others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean