UnDiet_729x90

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Timbales


This was my first attempt at timbales.  I have made similar stuffed veggie creations, but none that I've enjoyed as much as these.  As usual, I was browsing some blogs, looking for something interesting to make for dinner, when I came across this  recipe.
Yum, these were really delicious.  I changed it a bit by subbing whole wheat gnocchi for the pasta in the original recipe.  I really liked that substitution as it made for a really filling and substantial dish for dinner.  I didn't measure the amount of ricotta I used, but maybe 1/2 cup for the three of us.  I used a LOT of fresh basil...probably 3/4 cup.  I had lots of Roma tomatoes on hand, so I chopped them up (didn't bother peeling or seeding) and used them to make a fresh tomato sauce with lots of onions and garlic.  To plate, I put a couple of dollops of sauce on the plate, placed the timbale on top and added some more sauce and sprig of basil for garnish.  I will definitely make these again!

 
I roasted the eggplant slices in a 400F oven for about 20 mins.


Whole wheat gnocchi


Sauce


Fresh basil (don't worry, I did wash it before chopping!!)


Parmigiano Reggiano


Mixing the parmigiano with the ricotta, basil and freshly ground black pepper


Layering the gnocchi, sauce and ricotta mixture 


Patted down and wrapped up.  Ready to bake.




Ooey, gooey goodness! :-)


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks beautiful! I'm going to be copying your addition of gnocchi next time, It looks fantastic! Great photo's, I'm so glad you liked it!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think of it with gnocchi! I hope you enjoy it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

The Lean Green Bean