UnDiet_729x90

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Real Vegetable Burgers

Once again I was inspired by one of Meghan Telpner's recipes.
Krestan has been a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years now and I'm always striving to find healthy recipes for him, but to avoid too much soy/tofu. Most of the veggie burgers we purchase have soy as the first ingredient. When I saw Meghan's recipe, I knew I had to give it a try. I served it much as a traditional burger for Krestan, on a whole wheat 'Thintini' bun with ketchup, onions, pickles and tomatoes. He said it was at least as good as a bought veggie burger, but maybe even better. That was good enough for me :-) Perry and I also had ours on the 'Thintini' buns but with onions, tomatoes and cucumber and with a dressing made with tahini, kefir and sambal oelek. We both really enjoyed them.

Here's what I did...

Shredded 2 carrots in my food processor, using the grater attachment.


Added one sliced onion


A handful of pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds


Added 5 leaves of fresh kale from our garden


About a cup of chickpeas


2 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms


2 tablespoons freshly ground flax seeds


1/2 cup cilantro, some Celtic sea salt and cayenne pepper


2 heaping tablespoons of chia seeds (just 'cos I love them) and about 2/3 cup of besan (chickpea flour)


Formed them into patties and baked at 400F for 20 mins., flipped them and baked for 20 more mins.


Yum, yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean