UnDiet_729x90

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Drunken Noodles

Drunken Noodles


This is what Krestan always orders when we go to one of our favourite local Viet/Thai restaurants.  I made it once, many years ago (from a different recipe) so I thought I'd give it another try tonight.  I can't remember where I found the recipe as I had cut and pasted it into an e-mail and put it in one of my recipe folders.  Anyway, here's the recipe (I made quite a few changes to the original) and some pics.

Drunken Noodles
4 servings

  • 3 tbsp. ketjap manis
  • 6 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. coconut nectar
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 Thai bird chilies, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups Thai basil leaves 
  • 1 sweet onion, sliced
  • 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch lengths
  • 2 sweet bell peppers, sliced 
  • fish sauce
  • 1 package fresh rice noodles (sold in 2- pound packages), strands separated
Start by making the sauce. Mix the soy sauces and coconut nectar in a bowl and set aside until needed.






Prepare all the ingredients before you start cooking.

Peppers, onions and asparagus



Thai basil



The noodles are a bit of a pain in the neck as they tend to stick together, so take the time to separate them ahead of time.


Uncooked noodles


In a very hot wok over high heat, add about 2 tbs. coconut oil. Add the chilies and garlic and stir-fry for about 20 seconds.




Add the onion wedges and aparagus and peppers and continue to stir-fry for about 1 minute.

I'm sure a took a pic. with the peppers too, but it magically disappeared from my camera :-)


Add a few  squirts of fish sauce and remove from the pan.  Set aside until later.


To the hot wok, add a couple more tablespoons of coconut oil, then throw in the basil and noodles. Stir-fry until the noodles begin to soften, about 3 or 4 minutes. Give the noodles a few seconds between turns to lightly brown.  I used tongs for this.

Noodles browning


Put the veggies back into the pan and add most of the sauce. Stir-fry to mix it well. Add the rest of the sauce if needed.
Serve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean