UnDiet_729x90

Monday, November 09, 2009

Homemade Healthy Breakfast Cookies!



I spent some time thinking about what I'd like to make for Perry to take to work for breakfast.  He rarely has time to eat anything before he leaves the house and he usually takes some enzymes first thing and can't eat anything for 45 mins. after that.  So, I came up with this recipe today.  I think they turned out pretty well.  Perry had a taste test and said they're good.  They're not cooked, just dehydrated.  They're not raw though as the steel cut oats in them are cooked.  I wrote out the recipe as I went along, so here's what I did...


Deb's Healthy Breakfast Cookies

1 large Fuji apple, cored and coarsely chopped
35 soft pitted dates
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger (we love ginger!)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1 cup raw walnuts, coarsely chopped (I did this in the food processor)
1 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped (I did this in the food processor)
1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup goji berries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup dried unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup oat bran
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup steel cut oats, simmered until just tender
Dates and apples in the food processor
In a food processor, mix the dates and apple until the dates are a paste and the apple is finely chopped.  Transfer to a large bowl with all the other ingredients and mix well.  
Ginger, walnuts and cinnamon



The mixture before the rolled oats went in
Form into patties and place on plastic sheets on dehydrator trays. 
Dehydrate at 115F for 2 hours then flip over (directly on to trays) and dehydrate until desired texture (I'm guessing 3-8 hours depending on how dry/crunchy you would like them to be).  I dried them for about 3 hours or so after turning them over.
Makes 26-28 very generously-sized cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean